The last thing we want to do is create a look that makes us appear larger or out-of-proportion; however, that’s what we do when we are not aware of the impact of line, design, proportion and color. Line and design is much more that wearing horizontal stripes, it is how the lines in the garment are formed, the shape and proportion of garments and how they are used to create the best look and how the lines of the body interact with the lines in clothes. Also, with color, it is not simply what color looks best on you (which is very important) but how color works with the lines of a garment to determine the final look. Here are some general guidelines that will create a slimming look but is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to dressing to your full potential and looking slimmer.
Tips to Look Slimmer:
1. Don’t wear frills or extra material that adds bulk. Don’t wear bulky sweaters, or sweatshirts.
2. Avoid shiny fabrics such as velour and satin.
3. To make your legs appear smaller wear dark hose. Don’t wear patterned tights.
4. Don’t wear oversized, shapeless clothing to hide bulges- they will make you appear larger instead.
5. Wear undergarments that have good support.
6. Dress in monochromatic colors without patterns. Darker colors will make you appear smaller – navy, dark green, gray or black.
7. Avoid horizontal stripes. Thin vertical lines will give a slimming look.